VW Group signs purchase of Italdesign Giugiaro

VW Group signs purchase of Italdesign Giugiaro

The Volkswagen Group has recently finished its acquisition of Italdesign Giugiaro (IDG) with the purchase of a 90.1 percent stake in the iconic design studio. The German automaker said the shareholding has been purchased by Audi’s Italian subsidiary Lamborghini with the remaining 9.9 percent stake held by present owner family Giugiaro.

The buyout was originally on the cards back in May and the design consultancy is now part of the ever-expanding Volkswagen empire. The top management of the company, including founder/chairman Giorgetto Giugiaro and his son and vice-president Fabrizio, have kept their same jobs.

Volkswagen and IDG have a relationship going back decades, and have together created a great number of vehicles over the years including the first generation of the Golf and many concept models such as the first Volkswagen Passat, Scirocco and the Audi 80. Italdesign was also responsible the design of many Fiat Group vehicles including the Fiat Punto and Grande Punto, and the Alfa Romeo 156 /159 and Brera.

It’s unclear if IDG will continue working with outside clients or will now dedicate itself entirely to VW Group projects.

The Volkswagen Group has recently finished its acquisition of Italdesign Giugiaro (IDG) with the purchase of a 90.1 percent stake in the iconic design studio. The German automaker said the shareholding has been purchased by Audi’s Italian subsidiary Lamborghini with the remaining 9.9 percent stake held by present owner family Giugiaro.

The buyout was originally on the cards back in May and the design consultancy is now part of the ever-expanding Volkswagen empire. The top management of the company, including founder/chairman Giorgetto Giugiaro and his son and vice-president Fabrizio, have kept their same jobs.

Volkswagen and IDG have a relationship going back decades, and have together created a great number of vehicles over the years including the first generation of the Golf and many concept models such as the first Volkswagen Passat, Scirocco and the Audi 80. Italdesign was also responsible the design of many Fiat Group vehicles including the Fiat Punto and Grande Punto, and the Alfa Romeo 156 /159 and Brera.

It’s unclear if IDG will continue working with outside clients or will now dedicate itself entirely to VW Group projects.

« | »

Let us know what you think

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Road Tests

Silver Sponsors

Car and SUV Team

Richard-Edwards-2016Richard Edwards

Managing editor

linkedinphotoDarren Cottingham

Motoring writer

robertbarry-headRobert Barry

Chief reporter

Ian-Ferguson-6Ian Ferguson

Advertising Consultant

debDeborah Baxter

Operations Manager

RSS Latest News from Autotalk

RSS Latest News from Dieseltalk

Read previous post:
Is this the toughest Toyota Prius around?

The third generation Toyota Prius is more famous for not stopping than going very fast, but that doesn't mean eco-warrior...

Close